Following a contract awarded in June 2012, Bombardier is supplying 775 new rail cars to the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) for its “Fleet of the Future”.
The new cars, which will replace BART’s entire existing fleet and enable system expansion, will incorporate state-of-the-art, environmentally-friendly technologies and will include input from Bay Area citizens who had the opportunity to provide feedback on the car’s design through an extensive public outreach program.
New features and improvements include:
- a reconfigured interior layout designed to maximize seating, openness, and comfort
- more priority seating for seniors and people with disabilities
- bicycle racks
- comfortable, easy-to-clean seats with lumbar support
- interior and exterior digital displays showing passenger information
- a high quality public address system, including automated announcements
- more doors to make boarding faster and easier
- energy-saving lighting
- improved onboard security cameras
- energy-efficient propulsion and regenerative braking