Bombardier Transportation signed a contract with Dutch National Railway operator, NS, for the supply of 19 TRAXX F140 MS (multi-system) locomotives in December 2013, with an option for 21 further locomotives. The locomotives operate direct intercity passenger services in the Netherlands between Breda, Rotterdam and Amsterdam, including the Dutch high speed route (HSL-Zuid). In May 2015, NS ordered a further 18 TRAXX F140 MS locomotives with an option for eight additional locomotives. Following the introduction of the new locomotives, NS has already increased the frequency of services between Amsterdam and Rotterdam to three per hour, which is set to increase to four times an hour during 2016. As one of the products within the highly successful TRAXX portfolio, the BOMBARDIER TRAXX F140 MS locomotive provides the following benefits:
- Can be used for heavy freight and also passenger services, nationally and internationally;
- Large service network available throughout Europe;
- Specifically developed for cross-border operation;
- Long term spare parts availability; cost savings from common parts usage and ease of access;
- Locomotives can operate with a wide range of power supplies including AC and DC networks, making them ideal for trans-European operations.