Telematics for Railways
The key to the integration of railway operations is modern telematics with satellite-aided location, wireless communication and integrated database applications. INTERFLO 50 is a unified solution for information processing of vehicle and line related data.
Designed as a tool to economically and dramatically enhance the knowledge of rolling stock positioning within a network or geographical area and thereby benefit by being able to accurately calculate maintenance periods, predict and implement better routing of trains and improve overall operational management.
The use of INTERFLO 50 can be vital over large geographical areas where national radio systems may not exist or where coverage is intermittent or extremely weak.
The system has the following characteristics:
- GPS-aided location accurately provides position, speed and time of vehicles
- Sensor fusion supplements GPS-aided location, facilitating continuous localisation, even under difficult reception conditions and in tunnels
- Location errors due to slip and sliding of the wheels are reliably suppressed
- Map matching increases accuracy by precisely allocating positions to the tracks
- Positions are presented as geographical coordinates (WGS84) and in the railway line network (line number and track kilometre)
- Modern radio systems (GSM, GSM-R and WLAN) are used for wireless communication between onboard and wayside equipment
- A transparent communication channel ensuring reliable, disruption-free data transfer on the basis of internet protocols is achievable
- In the operating centres, the EBI Screen control room has an open data base interface to customer-specific application programs and other IT systems
INTERFLO 50 enhances transportation timeliness and improves the utilisation of locomotives by reducing standstills and empty runs. Further cost savings are achieved by more efficient train maintenance procedures.
EBI Star onboard equipment
The EBI Star onboard unit is a unified communication platform. It supplies vehicle systems with accurate information about position, speed and time. At the same time, via the management of mobile communication channels, it ensures reliable data transfer between rail vehicles and wayside infrastructure. Wireless networking between several onboard equipment units is also possible. Together with route atlas information on the rail network, innovative onboard applications provide driver assistance and lead to a supervised, punctual and low-energy driving style.
EBI Screen control room
The vehicle is supervised by the EBI Screen control room system. This is a modern computer-based control and supervision system allowing the operator to give commands through a mouse or keyboard with the facility to have the position of the vehicles and optional wayside objects shown on both normal display screens and large rear projection screens.
The INTERFLO 50 functionalities of the EBI Screen control room comprise:
- Digital Rail Map
- Position Monitoring and History
- Real-time Rostering
- Train Supervision
- Statistics and Reports
EBI Drive train management system
EBI Drive 50 is a train management system to assist to the driver to achieve energy savings whilst retaining punctuality, promoting sustainability and appealing to the travelling public expectations. Potential energy savings of up to 15% are achievable. EBI Drive 50 is applicable to primary power sources including electric, diesel or hybrid locomotives.